Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Once Upon A Time... There Was Humanity

A man almost died today on a public transportation platform filled with 30+ people watching him as his body shaken back and forth and he cried out random noises hoping someone would stop and help. I looked back to see where the noise was coming from before I boarded the subway train and noticed his body on the floor. People stared, watched momentarily with confused eyes but continued on their way. Instantaneously I quickly maneuvered to his side and asked if he was okay and yelled out "someone call 911." Two gentlemen quickly joined me to shift the man to his side as his face was turning purple. 30+ people standing around but only three stopped and helped, not even the people standing closest to him reacted to see if he was okay.

This occurrence made me think: "Are we, as a society, too busy to stop and be humane?" As I looked around the boarded train, I thought "How many times have we, as a society or as an individual, noticed someone in need and did nothing?" Sure, we all can read this post and think, "Shame on them," because no one wants to think they would ever be so nonchalant and cold towards another person but day in and day out people walk pass each other without hesitation for their well being.  Most of us can walk pass another and not even share a smile.

James 2:14-17 reads, "What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead."

I share this scripture to say, if we are to restore the faith in humanity we must first start with our actions. What good is it to refer to ourselves as decent human beings if we fail to participate in the simplest acts of humanity? Saddest part about this story is I am sure there were greater number of people who shared this incident on their social media platforms vs. helping the person in need.

My final quote to you, "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."

Be Blessed.






1 comment:

  1. Aby, Although I have never met you, I am very impressed with your dedication to helping others. You always seem very happy. I have a feeling that you are going to achieve so much and be highly admired by your colleagues for all the work you do, keep it up!!!...lillian m.

    ReplyDelete